I have never been as excited about calling to make a Doctor's appointment as I was the Monday morning after I broke my wrist. The ER doc had given me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon who was supposed to be very good, but that's not who I called. Last August, Ryan dislocated finger and first saw a general orthopedic and later a hand specialist. To make a long story short, the hand specialist said that Ryan's recovery would have been much smoother if he'd skipped being treated by the orthopedic surgeon. So based on that experience, I called to make an appointment with another doctor in that same practice. Conveniently, I had just seen him for the first time a few weeks before about a ganglion cyst on my right wrist.
I was ecstatic and anxious when I got an appointment for later in the afternoon. Ecstatic because I wanted answers about how much downtime I would have from the injury and anxious because the treatment might mean surgery, which was not the answer I wanted. It was finally time to go the appointment, so Ryan and I headed to the office. When the doctor came in and began to look at the x-rays from the ER, I began to get a little nervous. He spent a lot of time studying them and zooming in on certain parts of the images while rubbing his chin and saying "hmmmm..." I started getting the feeling that I wasn't going to be just leaving the office in a cast I'd have for a few weeks and then be done.
And when he started talking, my suspicions were confirmed. His recommendation was surgery as my best bet for avoiding future problems. And then he asked if I was available on Wednesday - in just two days! That day worked for Ryan so I got on the schedule. At that point, my mind was racing - the closest thing I'd had to surgery was the removal of a wisdom tooth and I didn't have to be put under for that! But, if this is what it was going to take to get me on the road to recovery, I was willing to do it. Doctor's orders!
No comments:
Post a Comment