Last Saturday marked two weeks since I broke my wrist, and tomorrow will mark two weeks since surgery. Yesterday, I went back to see my surgeon for my first post-op visit. The first thing the nurse did was remove the splint and bandages I had been wearing since surgery. I have to admit I was a little anxious about seeing what my arm looked like underneath the wrap. Honestly, it wasn't terrible, but there was quite a bit of bruising and one of my incisions is pretty sizable. After the nurse removed everything, the fun really began - she started removing my stitches. That didn't feel so great, but thankfully it didn't take all that long.
Next, the nurse took me back for a couple of X-rays and then my surgeon came in to see me. He said I was making good progress after the surgery - yay! But, I need to really work on getting my fingers on my right hand working again. So now, I'm trying to get my hand into a bear-claw and a fist. That definitely kind of hurts, but I know I have to keep trying. Most importantly, he recommended I stay out of work at least 2 to 3 weeks more, to help speed my recovery.
So, yesterday afternoon and evening and so far today, I have been working on my fist and bear-claw. I'm not all the way where I need to be, but I'm headed in the right direction. And today I had a HUGE accomplishment - I tied my shoes all by myself for the first time in about two and a half weeks. I can't tie them tight, like I would for running, but they were tied well enough to pick Ryley up and go to Walmart. Now that's making progress!
No comments:
Post a Comment