Background

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Out with the Old...

Over the last several weeks, I have been starting to go through some of Ryley's old baby gear and clothes because I finally realized that it would be much better for this perfectly great - albeit gently used - stuff to be used by someone rather than just sitting in my garage or attic.  I started by going through some of her clothes for a co-worker who has a six month old, and then I moved on to selling a car seat that we no longer use.  Moving this stuff out felt so good (at least to the logical part of me) that I moved on to bigger stuff this week, like the travel system and baby swing.

I did get rid of the big items and was kind of surprised at how taking this step affected me.  I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I shed a few tears over her baby carrier and big stroller.  I guess it made it that much more obvious how big my little girl is getting and how quickly the time is passing.  And it also brought to light how different our lives can be from what we planned or imagined they would be.  I always thought that by now Ryley would have a little brother or sister and I would get to use these items one more time before they were past their prime.  That, of course, has not been the case, so it's time to move on and take things as they come - whatever those things may be.  Being willing to give up with my plan and go with God's plan is tough to do, but I know that's what I need to do.  Hopefully saying "out with the old" is the first step to really doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment