Has it really only been two weeks since I last blogged? I feel like it's been so much longer! I think it's because we've just had a crazy couple of weeks. You always think that summer will be slower, but somehow I end up filling up the extra time with absolutely no problem.
We volunteered at Vacation Bible School last Monday thru Wednesday, and spent Sunday afternoon and evening preparing for VBS. It was only 3 days with the kids, but working with preschoolers for 2 hours after putting in a full day in the office is exhausting! I think I'm still in the process of recovering. Ryan and I had a blast playing the role of Egyptian shopkeepers and providing a different, loosely-authentic cultural experience each night.
The first night, we talked about the kinds of food Egyptians ate and had some samples for the kids to try - like grapes, bread with honey, and fig newtons. Like I said - loosely authentic! Hey, we didn't think preschoolers would actually eat figs. The second night we tried to show the kids what it might have been like to be a kid in Ancient Egypt by letting them play with sand, water and simple toys like tops. For the grand finale, we had the kids make jeweled collars and head bands so that they could dress up like Egyptians. Why we thought glitter glue was a good idea, I do not know...wow!
As tired as I was by the end, VBS was a complete blast and I can't wait until it's time for it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment