Anyone that knows our family knows we take our Horned Frog football very seriously... it was a huge and very difficult decision not to make the trip to Pasadena. But, that is the decision we came to, with everything we've had going on and considering we'd like to take a Disney World trip later this year. So, we decided the next best thing would be to have some of our friends who were also not making the trip over to watch the game, eat yummy food and hang out.
I have to admit, I was nervous the entire game - and as the final seconds ticked down I felt so proud and excited for my Frogs!
Of course, after the game was over we all had to celebrate. Luckily, I spent my New Year's Eve baking and decorating a special cake for just such an occasion! :) I wanted to share a few pics of the process and the finished product, because I am kind of proud of the end result, if I do say so myself. I guess I DO remember a thing or two from those cake decorating classes I took!
So I started off with a two-layer, oval, yellow cake and decided to frost it in chocolate icing to hopefully resemble a football.
Once I was happy that this oval cake could indeed pass for a football, I added laces and other details to make it more believable. And it HAD to have TCU on it somewhere! And yes, I do find that wine helps with the creative process, as evidenced in this pic!
Now that I had a football-looking oval cake with TCU on it, I decided it really needed something to give it some pizzazz and comemorate TCU's Rose Bowl appearance. So, I bravely attempted to make a rose for my cake. No big deal, you say, but if you've ever taken a cake decorating course, you know that roses are tricky little boogers - at least they are for me! Mine usually look more like deformed cabbages than the pretty roses you see on cakes in the bakery! You can see the deep concentration below...
And here is the final outcome.... not too shabby!




No comments:
Post a Comment