Background

Sunday, September 4, 2011

What Color is YOUR Tooth Fairy?

As I mentioned in my previous post, Ryley recently lost her first tooth - on August 24th, to be exact.  She's already lost a second one in the time it's taken me to get this blog post written up, but what else is new?  I'm not the most on-top-of-it blogger, but I do the best I can.  Anywho, about two Fridays ago, while we were doing our Friday night ritual of grocery shopping at Target (hey, it's not nearly as crazy as Saturday or Sunday!), Ryley showed us that her two bottom front teeth were wiggly.  I thought I was about to start bawling right there in the middle of the produce section!  Somehow, her impending entry into Kindergarten really hadn't set me off (yet) but this whole loose tooth thing did!  Thankfully, I held it together.

For the next several days, Ryley would report to us on her loose teeth, and one of them started to show the tell-tale signs of being ready to come out.  She wouldn't let either one of us touch it, so it probably remained in her mouth longer than really necessary.  But the following Thursday, she raced away from the dinner table for a few minutes and then reappeared, proudly showing off the tooth she was holding in her hand. 


And here's her new smile...


So of course, we had to prepare for a visit from the tooth fairy.  A while back, a friend of ours had told us about their tooth fairy and how they go about finding out a little bit more about her.  Their strategy is to leave the tooth in a cup of water, so that she had to dip her hand into it to retrieve the tooth.  Usually, a bit of her color gets left in the water (I guess the melatonin on fairies transfers to water...) so you get to see what color the tooth fairy who visited was!  And several different colors of fairies have visited them as well, since there have to be several fairies to deal with all the teeth in the world.  Ryley really liked this idea of finding out what color the tooth fairy is, so we decided to put her tooth in a water cup instead of under her pillow.  (Brilliant - thanks, K!)  So here's what Ryley woke up to the next morning...


And, yes, this is an unusually high amount for the tooth fairy to leave, but she just didn't have anything smaller and didn't have time to stop to get change.  ;)  But she did tell me when she stopped by that the amounts would be smaller in the future.  This was a special exception since it was Ryley's very first tooth.  She made me promise to pass this message on to Ryley.  As you can see, we had a pinkish-red fairy who was also glittery - very cool!  Here's Ryley discovering that the tooth fairy did actually come to visit...


As you can see, she was SO excited!  She can't wait until the tooth fairy makes her next appearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment